Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Not My Plans, But Yours

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"

Notice this dos NOT say, "For I know the plans you have..." or "I know what you want to happen in your life."

I am a control freak. I like to be in control, at the wheel, calling the shots, what have you. But I am constantly reminded that I am not, in fact, behind the wheel. The wheel I desperately cling to is more like one of those baby wheels a la Maggie Simpsons in the opening credits.


I do not have any more control over my life than Maggie has over the wheel of her mom's car. Oh, I try, I sure do. I yank on that wheel, trying to turn it this way and that, but I don't have it. Not only do I not have control - I don't even have the right wheel.

This is not news to me. I have known this for a long time now. In the TV show of life, God holds the remote - not me. I know this. Yet when things don't go "my" way, I get angry, sad, bitter, surprised, depressed, enraged, shocked and more.

http://maneggs.com/2007/08/29/gods_buttons/
I need to let God be in control. Well, I don't have a choice, really. And it's much better that way. I say all the time that God's plan is perfect and my own is far from it. But that doesn't mean I don't question why things happen when or how they happen. That doesn't mean I don't get upset and question what the benefit of a seemingly bad thing is.

But the point, if there is one here, is that God's will is perfect and sovereign. And I will praise Him in this storm.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." ~ Prov 3:5

2 comments:

tnthicks said...

Well said, Allison! Hang in there, and hang on to the truth ... it will get you through.

sheridan said...

Love you sweet friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails