Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This is Not a Tragedy (Put on Your Big Girl Panties!)

This is not a tragedy. I don't know why, in my head, I am treating it as such.

Today my very best friend moves to Texas. Her husband (my "Little Brother I Never Wanted") got a job as a youth pastor at a church in West Texas. Yes, he spent months looking closer to home - closer to both of their families - but to no avail.

So today I see Michelle for the last time in a long while, as I have no idea when I will see her again. I hope it will be soon...but I don't know.

This is a fabulous opportunity for them. A fresh start in a place where they have never been targeted for hurtful comments. A new chance to shine God's glory to those just meeting Him. A chance to be an encouragement to those who need it. This may be a once in a lifetime chance.

And I'm the little girl crying that it's not fair. It's not fair that my best friend is being taken from me. It's not fair that my children's best friend is being taken from them. It's not fair that I'm losing the one person aside from my husband who truly "gets me" and smiles and goes along with it anyway.
But who said life was fair?

And just because I don't like it doesn't mean it isn't fair.

You know what? I think this is what's fair for them. My egotistical self realizes this is NOT about me.
Maybe I need to see the opportunity God has laid before them. Maybe *I* need to put on my Big Girl Panties and smile through my tears and wave them off like a grown-up.


Sometimes being a grown-up sucks.

But today I'll do it for Michelle. I wont let my self-perceived tragedy ruin her God-given opportunity. (Lord, please turn my heart!)

And Texas...I hope you know what an angel and a gift you are receiving in Michelle and her family.

3 comments:

Beth said...

It's such a blessing to have friends in this life, who mean that much. I have a feeling y'all will make a way to see each other. But i totally relate to the tragedy tears.

Also, i LOVE your big girl panties picture. Hilarious! =D

sheridan said...

May not be a tragedy, but I know it isn't easy either. Though I must confess I'm usually the one moving away...

Praying for you today.

RachelAllison said...

My family and I moved to another state about two years ago to pastor a small church. Of course, that meant moving three hours away from everything I was familiar with... including my best friend. So I guess I was sorta on the other side of this than you are, but I will tell you I felt pretty much the same way. I fought it again and again, telling God it wasn't fair. But in the end I knew that He had a purpose. Not only for us to do the work that we have done here, but to teach me to trust Him more.... it seems to be a continuing lesson here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails