Thursday, July 21, 2011

I fought the Squirrel and the...

Squirrel Won.

What???

The other day some very good friends we had not seen in eons asked if the kids and I would like to meet up with them because, low and behold, they were signing up to adopt from DSS. (You have no idea the elation I feel when someone tells me this. My heart literally soars - but that's another topic for another day.)

So we agreed to a picnic lunch at a local park - one that would suit my preschoolers and her preteens (preteens??? I used to change their diapers!).

We got there first so I sent the kids off to play while I chose a picnic table and sat down. All our food was in a cooler-type lunch box, so I decided to pull out our "room temperature" foods - the crackers, our sandwiches, cookies, etc, so they could not be so chilly when we ate.
Then my friend pulled up so I went to find the kids and call them to eat.

We all sat down. I opened SB's sandwich. I opened Mac's sandwich. Where was mine?
Not back in the bag.
Didn't fall on the ground.
Not hiding anywhere.

My friend's daughter - aged 10 - said, "Maybe a squirrel took it!" We all laughed as I really looked under the table. Where had the thing gone?

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a glimmer of white. I look about 50 feet from us and there is a squirrel. Its rodent paws were holding an open bag - EATING MY SANDWICH!!
I think it was laughing at me. Mocking me in my hunger and sandwichlessness.

Not my squirrel - CAROL CHAN/The Daily Once

But you know what - the joke was on him. It was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I bet his little mouth was stuck closed for HOURS after that. Mwahahahahaha!

Anyway. The squirrel really did steal my sandwich. I ate a lot of grapes and cucumbers that day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails