Friday, April 19, 2013

The Breastfeeding Post

This is your fair warning. If the title didn't clue you in, this post is about breastfeeding.

When my daughter was born, the whole breastfeeding thing didn't happen. I had PPD, I had a colicky baby, and any time we tried breastfeeding it was at least 30 minutes of crying, and SB wasn't too thrilled either. After 2 weeks of trying and what felt like failing, my mom said I could give her a bottle - it was like a light bulb lit up. We switched to the bottle and never looked back. It was the best decision I made for both her and me.

When I had a second chance come up with Jay, I really wanted to try harder to breastfeed. I knew I could do it. I was armed with everything under the sun - special foods, vitamins, and gear to help me out. The first week was tough. He got a bottle more than he got me, but before giving up for good, I gave it one last try, and you know what? It worked. My goal: nursing for 3 months.
It worked through supply issues - Fenugreek was a life-saver. It worked through trying to get away for a while - the awesome pump I was gifted was amazing.

Jay was a champion nurser! But, that's right, I said was. At six months old we had two things happen. 1 - teeth. Two beautiful little teeth that like to bite. And, 2 - Jay thought lunch time was play time. Alternating between nursing and playing every two minutes left me, well, exposed. So bottle feeding became easier at that point. I weaned him down, switched to the bottle, and pumped for several weeks so he was still getting the good stuff until we switched him over to all formula.

So the point of this entire post is this: Feed your baby however you see fit. If you want to breastfeed for 3 months, 6 months, or 18 months...do it.And when you decide to stop, stop. It's okay. The earth will not shatter. Your baby will not suffer unduly (as long as he or she takes to the bottle all right, of course). And if you just formula-feed outright because of need or choice, that's awesome too. Formula is awesome!

As long as you are feeding your baby and he or she is growing and thriving, it's all good, however you do it.



What did you do? Chime in and share with me!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails