Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's the Song that Doesn't End...

Yes it goes on and on my friends...

Do your children insist on hearing the same songs and reading the same books over and over and over and over and... well, you get where I'm going there.

My children are like this. Sarah Bradley must read her latest Fancy Nancy book ad nauseam until a new one appears. She has seven Fancy Nancy books. We've read the same one before nap and bed for almost a month now. Maybe longer. Nothing else - not even her precious Care Bears book - can tear her away.

My son, Mac, is this way with songs. Thankfully he has a little variety - he likes Twinkle Twinkle anything. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Twinkle, Twinkle Lightning McQueen, Twinkle, Twinkle Lowrider (and yes, he wants me to sing about lowriders...he's 100% boy). But it's over and over until I want to scream, "Lightning McQueen does not twinkle - his headlights are stickers!"

I'm not sure how I can get the kids over this repetitious rut. I'm not sure that's a possibility given their ages - preschoolers use repetition as an educational tool. When they repeat things they're memorizing them.

But memorizing them means that when I mess up or vary from the known formula of verse means that I'm caught and corrected amid an air of giggles. Which is usually fun, but not always.

So for now, it's the Song That Doesn't End (or Book, or whatever it is that we do methodologically).
Any ideas for how to deviate from the plan?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails