Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Southern-isms Part II

I thought a few more Southern-isms were in order. I feel the need for a good laugh. Hope you do too...

Yonder
Over there. "Get me the socket wrench, it's over yonder." Yonder can mean a distance of a few inches to across town.

Directly
Soon. "So I said I'd be there directly." Synonymous with "by and by."

Fixin'
Getting ready to do something. "Tell Grandma I'm fixing to make some lemonade if she wants any."

Busted
Broken. Anything that is broken - be it a leg, a car or a dish - is referred to as busted.

Darlin'
A name substitute. Any person around you can be a darlin' - it is NOT a come on when said by the opposite sex! To a 5 year old,  "Well, Darlin', aren't your pigtails cute?" To a 25 year old, "Darlin', will you reach that pepper over yonder for me?" To a 50 year old, "Excuse me, Darlin', but did you graduate from Clemson? You are awfully familiar."

For a Spell
For a little while. Now, a little while can mean 5 minutes or two hours. "I'm fixin' to close my eyes and rest for a spell. Call me when supper's ready."

Sweat like a Stuck Pig
Yeah, this one is fairly self-explanatory. It means you're dripping in sweat.

Knee-high to a Grasshopper
Short. When talking about your childhood, people often say that they were knee-high to a grasshopper.

I hope those brought a smile to your face today, Darlin'! I'm fixin' to go over yonder for a spell...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails