Here are some Silly Laws that are still in place across the country.
I'll start with SC since that is where I live...
- By law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place.
- Dance halls may not operate on Sundays.
- Horses may not be kept in bathtubs.
- When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.
- Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks.
Here are a few others from other states:
- Bear wrestling matches are prohibited. (Alabama)
- Women may not drive in a house coat. (California)
- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle. (Florida)
- No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket. (Kentucky & Georgia)
- A woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission. (Michigan)
- It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season. (New Jersey)
- It’s against the law to sing off key. (North Carolina)
- Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields. (North Carolina)
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk. (Ohio)
- A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed. (Texas)
- All lollipops are banned. (Washington)
- You may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit. (Wyoming)