Friday, March 4, 2011

A Kid-Free Day

These don't come around too often. I was so excited that my parents were taking Thing 1 and Thing 2 to the children's museum yesterday. I had the day to do whatever I wanted. And aside from putting last night's laundry in the dryer this morning, I did NOTHING in the way of chores. No dishes, did not fold the laundry from the dryer (which means it will need another tumble to de-wrinkle), no cleaning, no vacuuming...nothing.

Marshall stayed home from work in the morning so we could have a date. His idea of a morning date was TV and sitting on the couch. I think I spent about 30 minutes acting like a hyper puppy, "Can we go somewhere? Please? I wanna go somewhere! Let's go! Out...without kids! I wanna go!"

It took us an hour to figure out where we were going, and that would up only going one town up into Clemson and wandering the collegiate stores downtown. I could have done that with the kids. But, we were alone!
Then - Marshall's phone rang. It was his dad. My irk faded when my own phone rang. It was Michelle. Marshall could talk to his dad all day if it meant my talking to Michelle uninterrupted. I should have called her first thing after the kids left!

Once off the phones we searched for lunch. Japanese! Mac can't have soy, so Japanese is a treat. They were closed. Okay...wings! The kids don't eat wings...closed again. We stumbled across a new burger place that claims to have been featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay and other TV shows. Yeah, I hope Bobby won that throwdown, because the burgers were not that impressive and for $20...I would have much rather had Hardee's.

After that Marshall went to work and I went home. So much for our morning date.

At home I sat at my desk and listened. It was quiet. Eerily quiet. Even when the kids are home and napping (yes, they still nap), I have to get Mac back into bed 57 times, or SB needs to potty or I have things to do...
I sat there. I missed my kids. How crazy is that?

I think the thing there was that I was home and they weren't. If I had been away from home, I would have been living it up. Instead I felt so...alone. I was lonely. I missed my little monsters.

A few hours later my parents rolled back up in the driveway and I was so excited to see everyone until my parents left. The kids kissed and hugged me then went right back to being their usual selves. "That's mine!" "No, mine!" "MOOOOOM!"
Hm... Oh well. It's my life and I love it.

There were so many things I had wanted to do today. Read a book. Work on my novel. Do some of my Bible study. Go to Target (even though I wasn't shopping...I just wanted to go). I did none of that. But I had time with my hubs and time to myself...and best of all I had my kids when they got home!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails