Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Glucose Test


Last Friday I went in for my one-hour glucose (diabetes) test. These things are not fun, people, and I sincerely hope I don’t have to do the 3 hour one. 

But what was different this time is that I was told to load up my sugars for 3 days before the test, then the morning of to not have any sugar at all. I’m pretty sure I was not told this six years ago when I was pregnant with SB. Part of me was thrilled – YES! Milkshakes, doughnuts, candy bars! But the other part of me is fairly convinced the doctor’s office is just trying to set me up for a fall. I don’t want to fail!

So I went in bright and early Friday morning to drink the orange concoction. I remembered from the last time that starting off it wasn’t too bad. Sweet and orange flavored. But it took me the full 10 minutes allowed to finish a small glass because half-way through “sweet and orange” became “the devil’s candy.” It was gross. Too sweet. Too orangey. 

I was ready to face this sucker once again. The orange drink actually didn’t taste as bad as I remembered. I drank the whole thing down in about 2 minutes, happy to have that part over. I pulled out my book (“The Nineteenth Wife”) and read for an hour. Listen, I would be happy to drink this junk much more often if it meant an hour of uninterrupted reading! 


Thankfully my results came back “excellent,” and there’s no sign of diabetes – which is great because this baby is measuring a good pound over what he’s supposed to! I’m happy to have this part over with – bring on the 3rd trimester!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails