Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Wave of Dismissal - AKA The First Day of School

Round about an hour ago we dropped our eldest off for her first day of school.

Big School. Elementary School. Her first day of Kindergarten.


SB woke up twice last night with jitters. With the assurance that everyone else had jitters as well, she went back to sleep until the oh-so-late time of 6:50 when I forced everyone to get up.

So far I'm not a fan of the whole "school starts at 8" thing.

We all dressed, ate, made sure SB had all her things, and loaded up in the car. The school is only 2 miles from our house, so it's a quick trip, thankfully. I think the drop off line took longer than the trip to school.

With the car parked we all walked in. I was ready. We found her class, where I took a picture of SB with her picture outside the door. And another one at her cubby. She hung her backpack, put on her name tag and walked away.

That was it. No tears. No kiss. Not even a hug. When I called out, "We're leaving," I got a wave of dismissal in return.

A wave of dismissal, y'all. For a kid who woke up twice last night with jitters I was not ready for the wave of dismissal. Marshall said we could go give her a hug, but I didn't want to push it or embarrass her. I let it go.

So no tears were shed - even by me. 

We came home and now Mac is watching the TV show he never gets to watch with his sister around. What will we do until 2:30? It's a new world for both of us!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails