Sunday, October 3, 2010

Heros: Take Eight

I know my heros aren't consistent, but I post them when I have them.

Today my heroes are those moms (and dads) out there who take the time and effort to homeschool their children.



I have a few friends who homeschool their children and they love it. They teach their children spelling, science, history - every math! Most also teach their children some sort of Biblical application lesson - scripture memory, Bible stories, etc.

I don't deny that a child's best and most important teachers are his or her parents. And I do my best to teach my children anything I can - we go over Bible stories, spelling, all the "whys" in life, etc. But I seriously doubt my personal ability to teach my children science lessons or geometry.

I've been debating for a while now whether or not to homeschool my children. I would love to and I am even a fan of a few of the homeschooling methods out there (honestly, the unschooling method appeals a lot - which is very odd for an OCD person like me).

But the deciding factor every time I weigh my option is that I want my children to spend time away from us. I want and need alone time and I think they need time away from me to grow and learn to do for themselves. I have plans for when they're in school full-time. I want to become a guardian ad litem and be an advocate for children who don't have a voice. I want to work on my writing without interruption and I want to watch Regis and Kelly in my PJs every so often. I'm selfish, I want my ME time back.

So today my hero is those parents who choose to give up their personal time to educate their children. The jury is still out on what we will do a few years down the road. But today, homeschooling moms (and dads!), you are my hero!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails