Thursday, January 20, 2011

This Post Will Make You Uncomfortable

Don't say I didn't warn you.

As you know I have a heart for adoption. There are so many countries around the world riddled with orphans it isn't even funny. And not only young children in need, but entire families, women and men...

Part of what the Bible calls us to do is reach out to those in need.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere--in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  - Acts 1:8

Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. - Isaiah 1:17

How comfortable are you in your skin? In your daily life? Are you lost without your phone, your computer, your car?

We are way too comfortable with our lives. We have become complacent. We live in a world of Big Mac's and fast service.

Do I have an answer for this? Oh, I wish I did. I wish I had a solution. The only thing I can do is raise awareness and help where I can. We do our best to support and donate to causes we believe in...foster care, crisis pregnancy centers and the like.

So, until I have a solution, indulge me. Look at the pictures below from http://amazima.org/ and Katie's blog http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/. Katie runs a non-profit in Uganda helping orphans receive adequate schooling, food and medical help.
Check out her site and donate if you can and pray for them regardless!

(All pictures from from her blog mentioned above.)
To date, Katie has taken 14 girls into her home. 

She helps malnourished children gain weight and survive in a world where many don't.

Katie's Blog says,
"They are real people. They are my friends. They are God's children.
Please pray specifically for Nabakoza as she may be nearing the end of her life. At 23, she weighs just 37 pounds (not typos.) She has been severely neglected all her life."
This woman, whom I have never met, is one of the biggest examples of Christ on earth that I have ever seen. I am in tears over how to help.

We don't have money. We don't have much in the way of resources to send to Uganda that I know of. But I pray for the people ministering there. I pray for the people there being ministered to.

As I said previously, I'm praying about a potential mission trip to Uganda. I really want to go, but I'm waiting for God to give me direction. I'll let you know if that possibility becomes a reality.

If you want to help, you can go to http://amazima.org/ and donate. You can also to go http://www.147millionorphans.com/ and purchase a magazine bead necklace. They are made by the women in Katie's community to help them support their families - these are former prostitutes and women who are missing arms who used to forage through trash to feed their children.

This post isn't nearly as uncomfortable as I had hoped it would be. Modern comforts like my phone and the TV and my very healthy children kept interrupting me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails