Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Fruit of the Spirit

Can you recite the Fruits of the Spirit without cheating? It was a long time before I could, but I can now thanks to an incredibly annoying song I have made my children learn.

The Fruits of the Spirit are Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.

We are having a lot of troubles with kindness and peace in our house. And all the other ones, too. I thought that teaching them the Fruits of the Spirit might be a good way to instill some good values into the children.

It's kind of working...Just today, Mac said, "Momma, SB's not following the Fruits of the Spirit." Yeah, now it's an accusation! Great!

 The kids now have a chart - when they display one of the Fruits, they get the corresponding fruit colored in. When each Fruit is covered, they get a prize.
Almost two weeks in and SB has 4 Fruits and Mac has 2.
I'm trying to show them examples, I'm pointing out when they are displaying a Fruit of the Spirit, I'm telling them when other people display them...but it's just not hitting home - especially when they're hitting each other and NOT showing Love, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, or Self-Control. One smack and they lose SIX of them.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here... Any advise?
Have you taught your children the Fruits of the Spirit? How did you do it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails