Wednesday, April 18, 2012

If You Won $10,000

I posted this on my facebook page and thought I would share the answers with you.

If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with the money?

I was expecting a lot of answers about cars, vacations, and other luxuries. But that wasn't the response I got.

Ten of my twenty-one responses were about paying off some sort of debt. Cars, student loans, credit cards, mortgages, etc. Another popular answer was making home improvements or upgrading to a more reliable car. A few mentioning giving money towards missions, charities, etc.

Two lovely people said they would come visit me! That was sweet!

One person I think summed up my thoughts on the comments, "You want to know the part that makes me sad about this post? Very few so far have had a completely frivolous answer! Americans, in general, are so deeply in debt, we can't look at any large amount of money as something fun. What's worse: most of us, even after paying off $10,000 of debt, we would STILL be living paycheck-to-paycheck."

This is so true. Why is it so hard for us to "get ahead?" I don't understand. The pursuit of the American Dream is turning us into a nation of American Debtors. And the Bible says the "A rich person rules poor people, and a borrower is a slave to a lender" (Prov 22:7 GWT).'

Anyway. No real point to this aside from being surprised at the answers and saddened by them as well. 

As for me? Yep, I'm right there with those who would put that money towards the house and the hubby's student loans. *sigh* I guess that's part of growing up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails